The following day we headed into Savannah to catch the Hop on Hop Off Trolley. Our Trolley
tour took us past a bunch of 17th, 18th and 19th century historic buildings, around the 24 squares usually with statues in the center
and along the river.
As Savannah was spared by Sherman’s destructive March to the Sea, there are a number of buildings that date back to the early 1800’s.
Savannah has had an active seaport for years what with the cotton trade and all the other items coming and going along the river.
It currently is the third most active container-shipping center on the East Coast.
One of the oldest places in town is The Pirates’ House.
It has been a restaurant and tavern since 1753. A portion of the structure was built in 1734, making it the oldest standing building in the state of Georgia. At one point, it was rumored to have a tunnel from the basement to the river where those who drank too much were shanghaied into becoming sailors.
At stop number 8, on the Tour, Janeen decided we would hop off and tour the Owens-Thomas House.
Built in 1819 its original owners had some financial issues and it was purchased by George Welshman Owens in 1830 and occupied by the family for many years.
Restored and now maintained by Telfair Museum it is a wonderful example of period architecture and furnishings, including the slave quarters.
After the tour of the house, we headed to Leopold’s Ice Cream but the line was out the door and down the street, so we passed. Back on the trolley, we finished the circle tour and headed to dinner with Bob and Linda at B Mathew’s Eatery.